Tuesday, February 13, 2007

an interview with violinist Lara St. John

Google my name (Michelle Lynne Goodfellow) and you'll find this article in the top ten results. I wrote it for the September 27, 1998 issue of Scene magazine, a London, Ontario arts and entertainment bi-weekly.

She was a child prodigy. She's posed half-naked on CD covers. She plays a 1702 Stradivarius violin. Lara St. John is a provocative 27-year-old London native and she is returning to the city this weekend for Orchestra London's season opener, where she'll perform Bruch's Violin Concerto No. 1.

St. John recently spoke to Scene writer Michelle Lynne Goodfellow from Vancouver, where she was crashing before a performance after a 30-hour travel ordeal.

Michelle Lynne Goodfellow: You'll probably never have another interviewer be able to say this, but I used to play the violin with you when I was little. I took Suzuki, and when I was about six or seven I was in group concerts with you and your brother (Scott St. John, also a well-known concert violinist).

Lara St. John: Really? I've seen pictures of that, but I don't remember it. I was, like, two and three or something. I was really young. Wow! Do you still play?

Goodfellow: No! Are you kidding?

copyright 1998, Michelle Lynne Goodfellow
Read the rest of the article at:

www.larastjohn.com/reviews/interviews/londonweekly.html

(The truth is, I was a horrible violinist as a child...)

No comments: