Monday, October 15, 2007

low-cost marketing techniques - part two

This post is part of a series, based on a talk I gave on the subject of inexpensive marketing techniques to the Toronto Chapter of Professional Organizers in Canada.

How do I market myself as a professional organizer? How do I market my professional organizing business?

2) Who is my client?

A) Choose a potential client segment, and describe them. Who are these people? Where do they live? Where do they work? What do they do all day? What do they do in their spare time? What do they do for fun? What other businesses do they already frequent? How much money do they make? Can they afford your products or services? Why would they want your products or services? What do they value?

B) Next, create a list of new strategies which you can use to reach these potential clients.

Let's say I've decided that I want to focus my marketing efforts on families with young children. They are overworked and stressed to the limit, and would really benefit from the help of a professional organizer who could give them strategies for time management and task flow within their homes.

Professional organizing is a fairly expensive service, so I want to focus my efforts on reaching families with enough disposable income to afford me. These families live in upper-middleclass neighbourhoods. They often make enough money that one partner - usually the wife - can stay home with the children when they are young. These mothers go for walks during the day, and visit playgroups and other parenting or early childhood learning groups.

Young families often have dogs, and spend time walking the streets in their neighbourhood. They may walk their children to school. They transport their children to a variety of extracurricular activities. They value their time and raising healthy, happy children. They may have a personal interest in self-development or self-care.

They frequent doctors' and dentists' offices, pet stores, toy stores, grocery stores, clothing stores, and perhaps seek out alternative health or spa treatments.

ACTION ITEM: Create a written description on your potential client. Use this description as a jumping-off point for directing your marketing efforts. Commit to pursuing at least one new client market in the next 30 days.

Suggest online search: "inexpensive market research"

No comments: